28 March 2010
Sunny Side Framed
The Graphics Fairy is one of my favorite blogs. I keep coming back to it and every single time I find another image I would love to use in one of the many projects that live in my head. For my Easter eggs, I selected three very different but equally lovely graphics.
I copied the images into a word document where I turned them into ovals. Every picture was printed out four times. After cutting out the egg shapes, I folded them all in half and mod podged one half of one egg to one half of another egg with the same image. I repeated this step for all quarters of all images. As soon as my half eggs were dry, I glued the two halves together, making one whole.
Once my eggs were completely dry, I sealed them with two coats of Mod Podge. One coat was applied in horizontal brush strokes and one in vertical brush strokes, leaving a nice vintage looking surface texture. Word to the wise: if you use an ink jet printer like I did, the colors tend to bleed. You'll want to apply a fairly thick coat quickly to minimize the bleeding.
After letting my eggs dry overnight, I wanted to add some glitter to the sides. For two reasons: 1) my toddler and I like sparkles, and 2) to cover up the edges that showed my cutting mistakes (it did not occur to me at the time to cut off any uneven bits after the glue had dried). I experimented with real glitter but after finding little purple sparkles EVERYWHERE, I decided glitter glue was the way to go.
I am linking this up to: